Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who contributed on GiveBig Day! Your support means we will continue to contribute to the flourishing of our children’s education and well-being.
SESEC is hosting another Facebook chat in the coming weeks with the Governor’s Office of the Education Ombuds! See below in the events for more details.
SESEC has invested in an online foundation directory to research grant opportunities that are available from local and national grantmakers. If you are seeking funding and would like SESEC’s assistance in identifying opportunities, please complete this online form. Staff will conduct an online review and provide you with the results of the search. Please be as specific as possible so we can conduct a search that provides you with viable opportunities. Priority for services will be given to SESEC partners. If you would like to become a partner, sign up here.
How Education Funding Works
When: Monday, May 9 | 6.00 p.m.
Where: White Center Community Development Association | 605 SW 108th St
What: Join OneAmerica to learn more about and engage in dialogue on how Education Funding Works, how it impacts our families, scholars, and communities, and how we can collectively make changes! Families and Children are Welcome. Diverse Language Welcomed. Dinner Provided. PLEASE RSVP and Verify with us who will be attending so we can plan for space, food, and translation accordingly! PLEASE RSVP by Contacting one of the following OA Organizers who are excited to hear from you!
Nimco Bulale, email@example.com, (206) 452-8413 (SOMALI)
Maribel Montes De Oca, firstname.lastname@example.org, (206) 452-8424(SPANISH)
Carly Brook, email@example.com, (206) 452-8437 (SPANISH)
Rainier Beach 2016 Town Hall
When: Thursday, May 12 | 6.00 p.m.-9.00 p.m.
Where: South Shore K-8 | 4800 S Henderson St, Seattle, Washington 98118
What: Rainier Beach Action Coalition is proud to host the Rainier Beach 2016 Annual Town Hall Meeting. The evening will focus on the four Action Area’s outlined in the Rainier Beach Neighborhood Plan; A Beautiful Safe Place, A Great Place for Everyone, Lifelong Learning & Growing Food for Healthy Industry. The work being done in the neighborhood has a direct impact on the successes of the Rainier Beach Neighborhood ACTION PLAN! The program will include: a report back on the Neighborhood Plan, update of What is and Whats happening with Communities of Opportunity, Update on ABSPFY Initiatives, how to get involved in Action Area work, Vision for our RB Community Center & Pool and MORE!
Facebook Chat with Governor’s Office of the Education Ombuds
When: Tuesday, May 24 | 9.30 a.m.-10.30 a.m.
Where: FB Chat Event Page
What: Come learn about the Washington State Governor’s Office of the Education Ombuds (OEO) and what they do! Do you want to learn about what services OEO offers? Do you have questions about when to contact OEO and what to expect when you do? Representatives from the Office of the Education Ombuds will be online to answer questions. If you can’t be online during that time but have a question, email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For those needing translation support or other accommodations, please let us know; email us and we will see what we can do.
BCDI 2016 Conference
When: Saturday, May 21 | 8.00 a.m. to 4.30 p.m.
Where: John Stanford Center for Educational Excellence | 2445 Third Avenue South
What: Black Child Development (BCDI)—Seattle Affiliate’s Mission is to “look into the eyes and lives of African American children and families and advocate for positive social change.” Our mission is actualized through public policy, advocacy and direct service within the community. One of the ways we provide direct service is by holding our annual conference, where Black leaders in the community come together to share various strategies in how to work more effectively with Black youth and families! Get tickets and register!
News to Follow
Rainier Beach High School IB Program is receiving funding for 3 years.
Read about the discussions at the Mayor’s Education Summit on April 30.
Equal Opportunity Schools (EOS) is hiring for multiple positions.
The State Board of Education is hiring a Director of Policy & Partnerships.
WA Charters is hiring an Operations Manager.
Rainier Valley Corps is hiring a Development and Communications Manager.
- The NBA Internship Program offers college students an exciting opportunity to use their skills and classroom learning within a national sports environment.
- The NASCAR Diversity Internship Program is a 10-week, full-time, paid summer work opportunity for deserving students with an interest in the NASCAR industry.
- Black Enterprise Internships are designed to provide real-life work experiences for college students interested in a career in the media industry.
- The NCAA Ethnic Minority and Women’s Internship offers an opportunity for a minority, female college student to be chosen for a unique two-year internship program.
- The Minority Access Internship Program offers spring, summer and fall internships for college sophomores, juniors, seniors, graduates and professionals.
- Congressional Black Caucus Foundation Internships are available for college students pursuing undergraduate associates or bachelor’s degrees.
- Essence Communications Internship Program is open to undergraduate, graduate students, or recent college graduates interested in a career in the media industry. Applicants must have a strong interest in issues pertaining to African American women.
- BET Networks Internships provides paid internships for both undergraduate and graduate college students at five different locations.