Advocacy & Policy Committees
Seeking Community Volunteers, Non-profit Leaders and Parents
Are you looking for a meaningful way to help address educational equity disparities in SE Seattle? Do you want to learn how to understand use data, learn about policy analysis, develop leadership skills or be a more effective advocate? Do you want to help narrow the opportunity and achievement gaps for SE Seattle students?
Southeast Seattle Education Coalition (SESEC) is seeking volunteers for special committees to develop stronger policy and advocacy skills in the SE Seattle community.
Come learn about racial equity and social justice. Committee members will learn how to use data in advocacy and policy work, develop and understand policies through a racial equity lens, ways to effectively advocate, how to write letters to the editor and op-ed pieces, and how to do effective presentations at boards, committees and commissions. At the conclusion of each committee, members will have a deeper connection to policy work, stronger leadership skills and a better understanding of policy issues.
- Cohort #2 will be starting in October and will meet on the following Tuesdays from 9.30-11.30 a.m.
- October 4, 11, 18, 25 | November 8, 15, 29
- There will be an orientation for those new to SESEC.
- There is the possibility cohort two could meet in the evening if there is enough interest.
- Meetings will be approximately 2 hours and will occur in SE Seattle. The first meeting will be at the SESEC office.
- Learn about education policy, advocacy skills, and outreach skills.
- Stipends and transportation reimbursement available for those who need it.
If you are interested in joining the workgroup, please contact Erin at [email protected].
2 thoughts on “Advocacy and Policy Committees”
Hello/ I am very interested in participating in this process. The fall is really hard for me at work, however- things get lighter for me in the winter. Will there be other workgroups to join a bit later in the school year? Thank you for all that you do!
Hi! I am very interested in participating in this process, I am working in the morning shift on my job now. It is hard to commute this morning meeting if it is opening at the morning. So I hope the workgroup meeting time will be starting at 3pm to 5 pm if it is possible. thanks!