Are you looking for a meaningful way to help address educational equity disparities in SE Seattle? Do you want to learn how to understand and use data, learn about policy analysis, develop leadership skills or be a more effective advocate? Do you want to help narrow the opportunity and achievement gaps for SE Seattle students?
Southeast Seattle Education Coalition (SESEC) is seeking volunteers for special cohorts to develop stronger policy and advocacy skills in the SE Seattle community.
Cohort members learn how to use data in advocacy and policy work, develop and understand policies through a racial equity lens, ways to effectively advocate, how to write letters to the editor and op-ed pieces, and how to do effective presentations at boards, committees, and commissions. At the conclusion of each cohort, members will have a deeper connection to policy work, stronger leadership skills and a better understanding of policy issues.
- Cohort #5 will meet on the following Wednesdays from 9.30-11.30 a.m.:
March 7, 14, 21, 28 | April 4, 18, 25 | May 2, 9, 16
- Meetings will be in SE Seattle, meetings at SESEC office (3829B S Edmunds St) in Columbia City. Please note our office has stairs and is not ADA accessible. If stairs are a barrier to your participation or language interpretation is needed, please let us know ASAP, we seek to create an inclusive environment.
- Learn about education policy, advocacy skills, and outreach skills
- Stipends and transportation reimbursements provided, if needed.
If you are interested in joining the committee or have questions, please contact Mindy at [email protected].
To learn more about Southeast Seattle Education Coalition:
- Join us at a monthly coalition meeting every third Thursday from 12.00-2.00 p.m. at the Rainier Avenue Church (5900 Rainier Ave S).
- Follow us on Facebook: facebook.com/sesecwa.
- Sign-up for our mailing list at the bottom of this page! (Email [email protected] with any issues.)
2 thoughts on “Advocacy and Policy Cohort #5 – Seeking Community Volunteers, Non-profit Leaders and Parents”
I am very interested in being part of this but the times are at times I am at work.
That was my exact thought! Are there any such groups for people who work? Thanks!